ARMANDO AND INEZ – GHOSTS
Jay Wasley, Aaron Goodwin, Zak Bagans, Billy Tolley
This century-old story was pieced together from old-timers’ tales, newspaper accounts from Mesilla’s early days and even some private diary entries. The digging took a lot of effort, as much of Mesilla’s turbulent and often violent history became enmeshed in the tale. Here is the “ghost tale” as best we can piece together:
The first owner of the house that is now the Double Eagle Restaurant, was the Maes family.
The family was in the import-export business. When its base in Santa Fe was taken by the Americans after the Mexican-American War of 1846-1848, they moved south to the area now known as Mesilla. From the grand size of the house the Maes family built, one can see the family had big plans for the future–especially the mother.